Blurb

Changing the way the world sees beauty one photoshoot, one model, one photo at a time.

To create art out of pieces that our Western culture deems unworthy of being beautiful is a goal we should all aspire to.

Saturday, January 8, 2011

Rant.

so, I don't actually do this very often.  but i think this time it's important.

What makes a professional??

Well, a good solid basic definition is someone who gets paid for at least 80% of the work they do.

... what about school?  equipment/supplies?  years in business?  talent?!?

A talented person in their chosen art may never be paid for the work they do.  They are not a professional.
An untalented person may have gone to school, spend thousands of dollars on fancy equipment, and marketed themselves in such a way to get business and continue to get paid for what they do.  They are a professional.

Someone who is passionate about photography (or modeling or singing or makeup artistry or clothing design, etc) may never take classes or buy first-rate equipment, but does that mean they should be shot down by others when they are trying to learn the good ol' fashioned way?  By using older or lower-grade equipment and doing things for practice and to learn BY DOING?

I have a good enough camera.  Some lights, but not fancy by any means.  I directed shoots and modeled without ever doing so before, but my personality and lifestyle led to me doing a good job and then by continuing to involve myself in photoshoots and learning as I went along I've become better, and will continue to do better as I keep going.

Just because someone calls themselves a professional, doesn't mean they deserve it.

Just because someone is trying to learn about a profession, doesn't mean they'll ever do it professionally, but it doesn't mean they'll never get to the level that a true professional should be at.

Yes, the unfortunate reality is that sometimes people just don't take you seriously unless you have papers to show that you know what you're doing.  Which is sad.  If your portfolio is outstanding then you shouldn't be judged for not having gone to school.  I know a very talented makeup artist who was turned down for jobs because she didn't have a piece of paper saying she knew what she was doing (even though her portfolio speaks for itself).

I dont take $ for shoots.
I don't believe I am at that level.
That being said, one day I may get to the level where I can consistently take great photos and deliver them to a client with fantastic results.
The only way I'm ever going to get to that level is by using my shitty camera, cheap lights and by doing shoots for free and learning everything I can from EVERYONE I can along the way.

As with everything in life... LEARN TO DO BY DOING!

- Deb

No comments:

Post a Comment